Thursday, May 17, 2018

Thing 50: New AASL Standards

I agree with the introduction to the AASL Standards sections that each time new standards are released, it is overwhelming! The wheel graphic is especially overwhelming for me, though when I printed the framework for learners in its rubric style, it was much easier to digest. In fact, there are many aspects of the new standards that I appreciate. As mentioned in the video, one purpose of updating the standards is to provide a better framework for librarian evaluation. This is a topic that we have often discussed as a department, and it is often difficult for administrators to know all the many roles teacher librarians play in schools. The Common Beliefs component of the standards is also a wonderful guide to align with the program and my educational philosophy. I can imagine referencing that section when faced with decisions that require prioritization of funds and time.

As I read through the framework and other materials about the standards, it became clear that my colleagues and I are already working in many of the domains and competencies. My students are young, but I always communicate with families and our administration that one highlight of our program is that the children are absorbing so much about social responsibility and their personal growth without even knowing it. They learn to care for shared materials, take turns, engage in learning and explore personal interests, and even the basic elements of democracy. These elements are truly rephrased in the new standards.

Of course the standards are also useful for thinking about areas to improve the program and teaching. One area that I recognized for an area of improvement is a reflection piece that is noted in several parts of the framework. Time is often not on my side, but I do need to make a point of setting time aside for children to think about their library experience or project and discuss with other students.


1 comment:

  1. So glad to hear that you found you are already meeting many of the standards! Such a great place to start from.

    ReplyDelete

Thing 50: New AASL Standards

I agree with the introduction to the AASL Standards sections that each time new standards are released, it is overwhelming! The wheel graphi...